The Gospel
 Tonight was girls bible study again and we worked through chapter 2 of "Displines of a Godly Woman" by Barbara Hughes. This is all about the importance of the Gospel and how we should really priortise to read it everyday. It is God's word and the way he speaks to us and it is through Jesus, the Spirit and the bible that we are able to be saved.

While this was the message of the chapter I took away something different tonight - I believee there was something else I needed to learn/know and the Holy Spirit guided me in taking that from tonights study. There was actually 2 things I took away, apart from the main message. The first was from something Barbara wrote:

"I will never forget the day fifteen years ago when a young woman named Carol who had received Christ as Savior only a few weeks earlier came to Bible study for a second time. She sat, with her borrowed Bible in her hand, in a circle of women who were well-versed in the Scriptures. Carol quietly listened as the study questions were answered. When there was a lull in the conversation, Carol said with great enthusiasm, 'I found the most wonderful verse last night!" All those Christian women turned their attention to this baby believer. Slowly and reverently she began to read: "For God... so loved... the world... that He... gave.. His one... and only... Son... that whoever... believes... in him... shall not perish... but have eternal life"
The quiet of the room was palpable. She was reading John 3:16 - a verse many believers memorize from childhood and can prattle off in seconds - as it should be read, as each word were a holy treasure. Around the circle eyes began to glisten as Carol's awe of the Gospel laid bare the shame of those of us whose senses had been dulled to its wonder.
Never lose the wonder of the Gospel!"
(page 27-28 of 'Displines of a Godly Woman' by Barbara Hughes)
I wasnt born into a Christian family, I believe I am the only Christian in my family but I found God in 2004 - 6 years ago and while I have wondered away for some of that time, I believe I have tried to follow a Christian path for most of that. Reading this I realised that in the last couple of years my wonder has slowly faded. We need to read God's word through the eyes of a child, with a child's enthusiasm. This is something I need to work on and do and remember - especially while I have been so tired. It is hard to be enthusasitic when you are constantly exahausted.

The other was a more of a reminder - it was a verse that we were refered to and it stuck out to me. God gives us everything we need  - he gives us the strength to get through our struggles.

"His divine power has given us everything we need for life and godliness through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness."
~ 2 Peter 1:3
1 Response
  1. I love that verse - well both of them. Your post made me cry and made me realize that I need to keep that first verse in my mind always. Thank you!


  • Prayer Points

    • Pray that God opens my heart to him and helps me trust in him more
    • Please ask God to guide the doctors in finding out what is wrong with me.
    • Pray for my friend in the UK who is finally seeking help, I hope he finds someone who is open
    • Thank God for opening my Mum's heart about DID, may she now be open to Christianity too
    • Pray that I may be more displined, particularly in my daily quiet times.
    • For peace of mind
    • Thank God for the rain in NSW and pray that it continues