Submission and the All Powerful God
We (the girls bible study) have decided that we are going to read the chapter before the actual bible study so we have more time to discuss it. This weeks chapter is on Submission, which I started today. Its crazy I cant even read a full chapter and its only 8 pages long - I am really struggling with being exhausted.

Anyway - submission. This is a concept I have struggled with as I was taught submission to be a negative thing. I also associate it with negative things in my past and so I find submission really hard. However in the bible submission isnt a negative thing. In the bible submission is full of love and reverance.

The past few days I have been looking particularly at Proverbs 3:5-6. I have been considering my questioning of God and my trust of Him. Now I am wondering if this is all related to submission - not the verses in Proverbs but the things I have been considering.

My past makes me fear submission, and makes it hard for me to trust. I have never really considered how this might affect my relationship with God. This made me really think about how my past affects the way I veiw God and how I relate to him.

I like thinking of God as the loving, forgiving Father that he is. But I dont spend time thinking of Him as the fearful, all powerful, selfish God - the vengeful God that is seen in the Old Testment. I see God as loving, forgiving, a protector who will guide me and give me the strength I need to get through things.

I do see him as the creator of all things and in that I recognise his power however when looking at this power I am admiring the beauty of His creation. I dont think of our Lord as the angry vengeful all powerful God. The God who showed his fury on the Egypt - killing the first born of all those who were not his chosen. I have trouble putting these two pictures of God together, to me they are so opposite.

I suppose no one really likes thinking about God's rightous anger, however I now wonder if I shy away from it more because of my past. I myself have not felt anger - ever really I have been getting closer lately feeling annoyed and frustrated but never full anger. Anger frightens me, and the idea of all powerful God being angry? That is terrifying.

However if I dont try and see God as all that he is how can I love Him? And if I constantly only focus on the loving forgiving God I am likely to see Him more as friend than as the Almighty who has authority over everything. And this is where submission comes in - we are told in the Bible to submit to God - to his authority.

I apologise if this post doesnt make much sense or is muddled. A lot of it came to me as I was writing and was not full thought through. As I began writing about what I had thought it lead me on a bit of a tangant but a good one I think that needs considering.
1 Response
  1. Just wanted to make sure you were okay. I haven't seen you online for a while.


  • Prayer Points

    • Pray that God opens my heart to him and helps me trust in him more
    • Please ask God to guide the doctors in finding out what is wrong with me.
    • Pray for my friend in the UK who is finally seeking help, I hope he finds someone who is open
    • Thank God for opening my Mum's heart about DID, may she now be open to Christianity too
    • Pray that I may be more displined, particularly in my daily quiet times.
    • For peace of mind
    • Thank God for the rain in NSW and pray that it continues
  • Welcome

    This is about my journey with Christ - the things I consider, the questions I have and most importantly the things I learn about God through the bible, bible studies, books, sermons and other people generally.

    I hope this blog helps me to be more displined in my journey with Christ. I also hope that this might be a place where others are encouraged learn and question their faith in aims of becoming stronger in Christ